For most of our patients, local anesthetic is sufficient to prevent pain during many dental treatments. That said, for some patients sedation may also be appropriate to ensure the safe, efficient delivery of dental procedures. Here, our Delta dentist explains more.
Every one of our patients is unique and our goal is to make sure that each and every one of our patients has a relaxed and comfortable dental experience with us.
While many of our patients find that local anesthetic is sufficient for preventing pain, others may benefit from additional sedation to help them relax during their dental treatment.
That's why all sedation and general anesthesia requirements are determined on a case-by-case basis.
We may recommend sedation in the following cases:
- Patients who experience high anxiety due to fear or low pain tolerance;
- Patients who could benefit from sedation to help prevent or address dental phobias;
- Patients with allergies to local aesthetic;
- Patients who find that local anesthetic is not effective in pain control;
- Patients who require a dental procedure that will take a long time to complete, is complex, or is particularly invasive;
- Patients with exaggerated gag reflexes and experience a choking sensation;
- Patients who have difficulty holding their mouth open for sustained periods of time;
- Patients who have special needs due to mental or physical disabilities and have difficulties staying still during dental treatment;
- Patients who have special healthcare requirements or are medically compromised.
Your dental health is important! There is no need to skip essential treatment due to anxiety or discomfort.
Our Delta dentist, and team of dental professionals, can help you to calm your anxiety and receive the dental treatment you need in a relaxed and comfortable manner.